Re: Catdoc - following on from the Open2 problems in Win 2000

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 05:29:58 GMT
On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 23:59, Allan_Watts@amp.com.au wrote:
> I guess I just battle on.(I am getting around the long filenames by copyi=
ng
> the file somewhere else first, and I  have a list of files, now, that I
> will ignore...)  Any suggestions appreciated..  (eg a way to trap errors
> from catdoc).

Earlier today I created a task to remind myself to replace or supplement
catdoc with wvWare before the next major release (i.e. maybe not soon).=20
This code is the basis for Abiword (and OpenOffice.Org?) Word import
plugins.  It works fairly well but I think it doesn't support document
formats older than Word 97.

wvHtml will convert to HTML.  So its better than catdoc in that respect.

The GNU Win32 project maintains the Windows port of wvWare:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3D23617&package_id=3D=
21335&release_id=3D211578

I'm not sure which of those files you need.  Probably .exe and maybe the
bin.zip?  I've done no testing under Windows at all.  But it works great
under Linux.

The command line to convert doc to HTML would be something like this:
  "wvHtml filename.doc -"

--=20
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/