Re: Compile or Search problem?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 16:33:53 GMT
On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 07:10:00AM -0800, Peter Ensch wrote:
> I'm just starting to use swish-e. I compiled successfully
> and have indexed my site. I updated swish.cgi to provide
> a search front-end but find that though it always works
> on the cmd. line, swish returns nothing when running thru'
> my webserver. I can move the cgi script and index files to
> another server and it works as expected.
>
> If I simply ask swish to output it's version number, it
> works all the time.

sure sound like the problem we have been discussing with IIS.

In you script hard code the full path to the index file.  It's likely
that your non-apache server isn't chaning to the script directory when
executing the cgi.

When it works on the shell but not the web server you have to look at:

1) environment vars
2) permissions - server runs as a different user
3) current working directory

Luckily, it's easy to print all those things in the CGI script and
compare.