Re: Klingensmith, Rick: "FW: Re: Memory Problems while inde

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 19:47:29 GMT
[Can your email client wrap lines?  Your lines are 600 characters wide]

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 09:49:51AM -0800, Weir James K Contr ASC/ENOI
wrote:
> Hello all, I was having this same problem with SWISH-E while indexing;
> I am running in a WIN32 environment. I could not figure out what was
> going on with SWISH-E. I have indexed before some test data and
> everything was going well, until one day I thought this is great I
> create two indexes and run them at the some time to speed up the
> process. Well the next morning the server was low on space and the
> indexing blew up :( ok I know I should not have tried to run both at
> the same time!!  :) ... Ok here where the problems all started; every
> time I tried to index the files after that I would get this error
>
> The error reads The instruction at "0x00000099" referenced memory at
> "0x00000099". The memory could not be "read".

I can't see any problems with running two indexes at the same time -- if
you run out of RAM that machine should just swap and become very slow.
(I think on Linux the kernel will kill off processes -- is that true?)

But, normally, running two indexing jobs at the same time won't really
help -- one job is running as fast as it can on your hardware, so
running two jobs at the same time probably won't make it finish any faster.

As for that error after you tried to index -- swish-e indexes to
temporary file and when indexing is done they are renamed (Well, on
Windows the old indexes are first deleted).  The idea is that a bad
index won't replace a good one.

> Every Time... I read the discussion list and everything from not
> having the TempDir set to network problems.. check all those out, to
> make sure it was not anything like that, then out of sheer flustration
> I uninstalled SWISH-E and reinstalled it.. When I started the
> reinstall the process stopped when copying ZLIB.DLL to the system it
> would not over write the file.. I when to the folder where the file
> was at and renamed the file and started the process over again and
> everything is working now!!! :).. I do not know if this would be a
> common problem and that this will work all the time but it did here...

Dave, any ideas why zlib wasn't copied?  Is that some kind of permissions
issue on Windows?  The installer isn't trying to rename the zlib.dll
file, is it?