Re: Considering Swish-E - Looking for Input (plain text)

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 22:08:01 GMT
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 01:24:35PM -0800, Thibodeau, Ryan wrote:

> I'm shopping around for a search engine for our Intranet, and Swish-E
> has definitely caught my attention. Our current Intranet runs on a
> 450Mhz Gateway PC running NT Server 4.0 and IIS. Obviously it is
> antiquated and tragically slow, and needs to be upgraded. I'll be moving
> the Intranet to a new Sunfire running Solaris 9 and Apache, and I'm
> hoping Swish-E will suit my needs.

Should work.  Install Linux on that old Gateway if you want to get some
more life out of it as a firewall or router or even a web server.

> We're a daily newspaper, and I'll be using the Index/Search tool for
> indexing and searching the daily stories from our web site. The current
> IIS Index has 300,000+ records, and of course this data will have to be
> re-indexed on the Sun box. I've read that Swish-E works great with HTML
> pages, but can it handle an index that large? I'm hoping so.

That shouldn't be too much data.  A potential problem is that you will
need to reindex when adding new records.  You will have to determine
yourself if that's too much trouble.

Perhaps others can respond to how they deal with that many records.

> Also, I'll need a search interface, and I see that there are several
> third party interfaces that have been written. Can anyone recommend a
> stable interface that is somewhat customizable?

There's two example perl scripts installed with the distribution:
swish.cgi and search.cgi.