Re: Fw: Re: 8-bit chars

From: John Angel <angel_john(at)not-real.hotmail.com>
Date: Sat Dec 13 2003 - 14:48:53 GMT
Hi Bill,

What are the chances to implement the following features officially.

I suggest introducing new attribute e.g. TargetCharset defining in which
charset will be all documents converted/indexed. Default value should be
"iso-8859-1" for vertical compatibility.

E.g. if TargetCharset is "Windows-1250" it should look like this:

1) indexer: iconv(Windows-1250, utf-8) instead of UTF8Toisolat1()

2) indexer: setlocale(Windows-1250) on-the-fly

3) search script: setlocale(Windows-1250) on-the-fly

Beside all 8-bit charsets supported that way, there should be one more
possible value (e.g. TargetCharset "as-is"), suggesting that documents
should be indexed exactly in the same encoding as they were originally.

It looks like this:

1) indexer: iconv(charset_of_the_document_being_indexed, utf-8) instead of
UTF8Toisolat1()

2) indexer: setlocale(charset_of_the_document_being_indexed) on-the-fly

3) search script:
setlocale(charset_provided_as_parameter_of_the_search_script) on-the-fly

Regards,
John