Re: SWISH - IE -Integration - possible?

From: Lee Thompson <lee(at)not-real.kaim.com>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 19:29:00 GMT
Remember that a thesaurus expansion needs to be able to be turned off,
so using the stemmer to drop the synonyms in the index will be a
problem.  Also, most often a thesaurus is used to add not only synonyms
to the users query, but also to add "narrower" terms, assuming the
thesaurus is a hierarchy of some sort.

I wrote a quick and dirty thesaurus server in perl, just using hashes,
and I have swish.pl communicating with that server via a socket.  This
works well, but I plan to rewrite the thesaurus server so that it uses a
reverse index system instead of sucking up huge amounts of memory with
giant hashes.  I can probably use Swish-e itself to store the thesaurus
data simply by feeding the indexer artificial "documents", each of which
contains the relationships (such as synonyms and narrower terms) for a
given phrase.

Lee Thompson