Re: problem installing SWISHE module

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 06:17:34 GMT
On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 04:47:01PM -0800, Brad Miele wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am setting up some new machines, and I installed the new 2.4.0 release,
> as well as the SWISH::API module. Then, realizing that i would have to
> rewrite some not small chuks of my code to use the new perl module, I
> decided to go back to 2.2.3 and the SWISHE.pm.

Hi Brad,

A while back I wrote a pure Perl SWISHE.pm replacement module that works
with SWISH::API.  I wrote it for just this need, but also somewhat
thought it might never get used.  It turned out not that hard to rewrite
my code to use SWISH::API directly.

You might be able to use that module until you feel like rewriting your
existing code.

 http://swish-e.org/Download/old/SWISHE-0.03.tar.gz

Not that "make test" will fail.  It's looking for the wrong index file
"../tests/test.index".  To get the tests to pass you have to modify the
test.pl file in that module distribution.  First make sure you have
swish-e-2.4.0 unpacked some place and that make test works there.

Then edit the SWISHE-0.03/test.pl file.  For example, if you built
swish-e in /home/brad/swish-e modify this line in test.pl from:

    my $indexfilename1 = '../tests/test.index';

    my $indexfilename1 = '/home/brad/swish-e/tests/index.swish-e';

and then run make test (after building the module).

BTW:

The README says:

  The SWISHE module (this module) is not a simple interface
  to the SWISH::API module.  It is provided for those that
  were using the SWISHE module with Swish-e version < 2.3.

I think that is my famous typo:  s/not/now/;

> Can't load 'blib/arch/auto/SWISHE/SWISHE.so' for module SWISHE:
> blib/arch/auto/SWISHE/SWISHE.so: Undefined symbol "SwishSearch" at
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.1/i386-freebsd/DynaLoader.pm line 229.
>  at test.pl line 13

That would make me think it's not linking to the correct library.  With
2.3 you have to run "make install-lib" (IIRC, check the INSTALL document
to make sure).