Increasing the rank of certain URLs

From: David Fishburn <fishburn(at)not-real.ianywhere.com>
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 15:07:02 GMT
Versions:
Linux fishburn-RH9 2.4.20-20.9 #1 Mon Aug 18 11:45:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686
i386
GNU/Linux SWISH-E 2.4.0
This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi (with 1 registered
patch, see perl -V for more detail)

I am indexing a site that has subscriptions to channels.

So consider a Sports channel.
There could be many URLs under this section:
ESPN
TSN
Yahoo Sports

I have data which tells me how many subscribers there are to each of the
above sites.

So for instance, if I had this subscription list:
25,000 - ESPN
10 - TSN
100 - Yahoo Sports

I can easily add meta tags to each of these documents including the number
of subscriptions.
<META NAME="subscription_count" CONTENT="25000" >

Based on this information I could change the default sorts from "swishrank"
to "subscription_count".
But rank is a complicated thing, based on search strings, proximity, title
vs body and so on.

Those are all very valid criteria.
Is there a way to combine all of this?

TIA,