Re: Installing 2.4

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 15:19:12 GMT
On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:51:03AM -0800, Sean Downey wrote:
> Hi
>
> this might be a stupid qquestions - so please forgive me.
>
> when installing 2.4 do I have to remove 2.2 or is it ok to install over it?

I would install over it (i.e. install in the default location).

But, do note that the index format has changed so if you are currently
running swish-e (say on a web site) then you want to create new indexes
before installing.

So, before running make install I would create new index files by
running swish-e from the src directory (the src subdirectory of the
build directory).  Then you can quickly move your indexes at the same
time you run make install.

I find using symlinks make things easy.  I place indexes and the swish-e
binary (or symlink) in a directory called, say, "indexes".  Then when
upgrading create a new directory indexes.new with the new indexes and a
the new swish-e binary.  Then:

   (kill server)
   mv indexes indexes.old && mv indexes.new indexes
   (restart server)

2.4 was a big change in the installation process and a lot more is
installed.  You can run configure with a --prefix setting for testing if
you like.

There's also --program-suffix option to change the name of the program
installed, but it doesn't work right at this time (it changes the name
of the program but so does a lot of other things.