Re: possible problems with Swish-e searching instru

From: <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 17:04:41 GMT
On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:53:15AM -0700, Rossmann, Doralyn wrote:
> Bill,
> This makes more sense to me now that you've explained it this way.
>
> The thing that confused me in the first place is the phrase from the
> documentation:
>
> "Expressions are always evaluated left to right...However it is always
> possible to force the order of evaluation by using parenthesis"
>
> And you mention "Order does not matter."

Right, I think that's confusing, too.  My guess is the person writing
the docs was thinking:

    foo NOT bar AND baz

vs.

    foo NOT (bar AND baz)

which changes the "order" of things.

> I would find it less confusing if the documentation had said "Order does not
> matter. However it is always possible to force the order of evaluation by
> using parenthesis."

Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to explain this in a way that
isn't more confusing and subject to different interpertations.  People
have different ways of picturing the logic, I think.

> I appreciate your clarifications and the time you spent emailing with me
> about this.

No problem.  What was it that helped you understand?  Maybe I can add
that to the docs.