Re: possible problems with Swish-e searching instru

From: <moseley(at)>
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 00:36:15 GMT
On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:15:46PM -0800, Rossmann, Doralyn wrote:
> What my concern is over the phrase in the documentation:
> swish -w "juliet not ophelia and pac" -f myIndex
> retrieves files which contain ``juliet'' and ``pac'' but not ``ophelia''
> It should say:
> retrieves files which contain   (juliet NOT ophelia) AND pac

That's correct, but I'm guessing that you have have a different idea
what that "AND pac" means.

That "AND pac" is just a subset of the (juliet NOT ophelia) set.  It's
not all the docs that have pac plus the set of (juliet NOT ophelia).

That would be:

   (juliet NOT ophelia) OR pac

The original example:

 juliet not ophelia and pac

is the same thing as these:

  (juliet) AND (not ophelia) AND (pac)
  (juliet) AND (pac) AND (not ophelia)

which is what the documentation is trying to saying in English.

Order does not matter.

I doubt thise example will help (and will look wrong for Outlook users),
but here's how it works:

We have 8 documents.  Ophelia is in doucments 1 3 5 7
That means it is *not* in documents 2 4 6 8

search word | File Numbers:
juliet        1 2 3 4 5 6
pac                 4 5 6 7 8
not ophelia     2   4   6   8
AND                 4   6

So you can see, it's only juliet and pac, but not (and not) ophelia

Bill Moseley