Re: possible problems with Swish-e searching instructio ns

From: <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 21:56:37 GMT
On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:36:37PM -0700, Rossmann, Doralyn wrote:

> Find stuff with Juliet---let's say that's 100 items
>
> Subtract stuff with Ophelia--let's say that's 25 items.  So now you've got
> 75 items.

There's no subtraction.  You AND two sets together -- the set of files
with Juliet and the set without Ophelia.

> Combine that result with those pages that also contain the word Pac.

There's no combine.  There's AND and OR.

>  Let's say you had 200 items with Pac but only 50 of those also have
> Juliet in them.  --let's say all of the Pac and (Juliet minus Ophelia)
> stuff is 40 items.

Now you lost me.

I refuse to draw ascii art Venn diagrams!  Anyone else want to give it a
try?

> Ok...well, what if the Pac set had stuff with Ophelia?  You didn't ever
> "subtract" Ophelia from Pac.  So you have Juliet stuff without Ophelia and
> that result's been combined with Pac stuff.
>
> Do you see what I'm saying?  You aren't ever subtracting Ophelia from Pac
> and the documentation isn't addressing that.

No, sorry I don't see what you are saying.  (Remember that missing
coffee?)  I would suggest you reread my last message as I think I
understand that one.

Read the queries left to right.  There's only AND and OR for combining
the sets, and there's only one set of documents to pick from.

If Juliet selects documents 1, 2, 3, 5, 8.  And Pac selects documents 1,
3, 7 the AND result is just 1 and 3.