Re: 2.4.0-pr4 RPMs, RH9

From: <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 15:45:51 GMT
On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 10:04:39AM -0500, David L Norris wrote:

Maybe RPM does things weird, but:

> perl(HTML::LinkExtor)      (part of LWP)
> perl(HTML::Parser) >= 3.00
> perl(HTTP::Status)         (part of LWP)
> perl(LWP::UserAgent)       (part of LWP)
> perl(constant)             (standard - i.e. part of base Perl install)
> perl(strict)               (standard)

> These aren't a problem since I believe they are provided by Red Hat in a
> default configuration.  Ah, here we go:
> $ rpm -q --info perl-libwww-perl-5.65-6 | grep ^Packager
> Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
>
> > Plus some optional modules:
> >     Date::Calc  ( for date range feature in swish.cgi, if used )
> $ rpm -q --requires perl-Date-Calc | grep ^perl
> perl(Bit::Vector)   ( Don't know about this one )
> perl(Carp::Clan)    ( standard )
> perl(Date::Calc)    ( all part of Date::Calc...)
> perl(Date::Calc::Object)
> perl(Date::Calendar::Year)

> perl(DynaLoader)  (these all standard )
> perl(Exporter)
> perl(strict)
> perl(vars)
>

> >     HTML::Template   ( swish.cgi, template optional )
> $ rpm -q --requires perl-HTML-Template | grep ^perl

> perl(Carp)        ( all standard )
> perl(File::Spec)
> perl(integer)
> perl(strict)
> perl(vars)
>
> >     HTML::FillInForm ( for sticky forms with HTML::Template )
> $ rpm -q --requires perl-HTML-FillInForm | grep ^perl

> perl >= 0:5.005    (all standard except HTML::Parser)
> perl(Carp)
> perl(HTML::Parser) >= 3.26
> perl(integer)
> perl(strict)
> perl(vars)
>
> >     Template ( Template-Toolkit, template optional )
> $ rpm -q --requires perl-Template-Toolkit | grep ^perl
> perl >= 0:5.004
> perl >= 0:5.005

These for TT below are a bit unfair.  It's like saying since you are
installing Perl you have to install EVERY module because you might use
them some day. Clearly, DBI and GD are not required.  Others are
provided in the Template package.  AppConfig is a dependency, though:

http://search.cpan.org/src/ABW/Template-Toolkit-2.10/Makefile.PL

    'PREREQ_PM'    => {
	'AppConfig'  => 1.52,  ( required )
	'File::Spec' => 0.8,   ( standard in Perl 5.8, I think required earlier )
        'File::Temp' => 0.12,  ( required )
    },

> perl(AppConfig)
> perl(CGI)
> perl(Cwd)
> perl(DBI)
> perl(Data::Dumper)
> perl(Exporter)
> perl(File::Basename)
> perl(File::Copy)
> perl(File::Path)
> perl(File::Spec)
> perl(GD)
> perl(GD::Graph::area)
> perl(GD::Graph::bars)
> perl(GD::Graph::bars3d)
> perl(GD::Graph::lines)
> perl(GD::Graph::lines3d)
> perl(GD::Graph::linespoints)
> perl(GD::Graph::mixed)
> perl(GD::Graph::pie)
> perl(GD::Graph::pie3d)
> perl(GD::Graph::points)
> perl(GD::Text)
> perl(GD::Text::Align)
> perl(GD::Text::Wrap)
> perl(POSIX)
> perl(Pod::POM)
> perl(Template)
> perl(Template::Base)
> perl(Template::Config)
> perl(Template::Constants)
> perl(Template::Directive)
> perl(Template::Document)
> perl(Template::Exception)
> perl(Template::Grammar)
> perl(Template::Iterator)
> perl(Template::Plugin)
> perl(Template::Plugin::File)
> perl(Template::Plugin::Filter)
> perl(Template::Provider)
> perl(Template::Service)
> perl(Template::Stash)
> perl(Template::View)
> perl(Text::Autoformat)
> perl(Text::Wrap)
> perl(XML::DOM)
> perl(XML::RSS)
> perl(XML::Simple)
> perl(XML::XPath)
> perl(base)
> perl(constant)
> perl(overload)
> perl(strict)
> perl(vars)
>

> >     MIME::Types ( SWISH::Filter, optional )
> >     MP3::Tag ( For SWISH::Filter, optional filter )
> >     Spreadsheet::ParseExcel ( SWISH::Filter, optional filter )
> >     Date::Parse ( used in index_hypermail.pl, part of TimeDate package )
> >     Compress::Zlib ( used in the MySQL.pl example )
>
> These I'm having trouble finding.  So, either they didn't get picked up,
> are provided in some other Perl RPM, or I installed from CPAN (and the
> RPMs are going to fail to install ;-).  But, the last scenario is the
> one I'm interested in knowing about.  Most of the CPAN modules are
> trivial to package as RPM.

Well, you don't need to build packages for index_hypermail.pl or
MySQL.pl.  There just examples.  Maybe the others are not picked up
because there are not listed in a "use <module>" line.