Re: 2.x server

From: Magnus Bergman <magnus.bergman(at)not-real.observer.net>
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 13:11:43 GMT
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:15:38 -0700 (PDT)
Peter Karman <karman@cray.com> wrote:

> I see in the future feature plans that a SWISH-E server is desired. Is
> there any current thinking about whether this is going to be done in
> Perl or C? I ask only because I have been playing with a Perl
> server/client system myself using the Socket modules. I wonder if any
> other developers out there have thoughts about the pros/cons of Perl
> vs. C for this kind of project.

There already exists a search server which can use swish-e (although
glimpse is it's default search engine), check out
http://harvest.sourceforge.net/ . I'm also writing a similar thing and
might like to contribute a swish-w search server.

The main (and perhaps only) benefit of writing it in C is performance,
IMHO. And performance is a major concern to many people. Maybe it's a
good idea to prototype the whole thing in Perl (which I guess require
less work) and then rewrite the whole thing in C?