Re: A swish-e performance question

From: <jmruiz(at)not-real.boe.es>
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 11:59:01 GMT
On 17 Oct 2003 at 15:33, Patrick O'Lone wrote:

> All,
>

> > > There is a 2GB limit index file. So I think that you will reach
> > > the limit of swish easily. But, the solution must be easy. You can
> > > hack the source the code and make it 64 bit. The trick is easy.
> > > Look for fopen, fclose, fseek, fwrite... routines in the code,
> > > mainly in db_native.c
> > >
> > > I have seen this question before. Anyone in the list has made
> > > anything? If not, and if I find some time I will try to add this
> > > feature. Now, I am fighting against the PHP module.
> > >

> Can't you just compile with the -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
> -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE? Shouldn't this just make it 64-bit assuming the
> file system the index resides on is LFS-aware? You shouldn't have to
> go through the code and convert fopen() to fopen64().

Nope. There must be also changed the offset types. fseek and ftell
uses a long (usually 32 bit).

Basically, fseek anf ftell should be moved to fseeko and ftello. This
uses an off_t type instead of a long type. So there are more things
to change to allow swish internal data to hold the 64 bit offsets.

I am working on this issue now. As Bill points, this may be a feature
for a future 2.4.1.

This is true for UNIX/LINUX system but Ms Win32 is a different story
as Dave told me.

cu
Jose