Re: Problem when indexing via -i, when filename list contains whitespace files

From: <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 18:25:52 GMT
On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 10:20:42AM -0700, Thomas Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Yep, folks,
>
> just tried swish-e -f first.2.index -c swish-e.conf -i $(find <webdir> -ctime
> -7 )

I know how to use find with xargs together but that doesn't help because
you don't want to run swish more than once.  So -print0 with xargs
--null won't help, I don't think.

I don't know how to make "find" shell-escape spaces in file names.
There's probably a trick, but I'd be concerned about command line
length.

When I wanted to do the above I have always just written a little Perl
script and use -S prog.

I've thought it might be nice to pass swish-e a file name that is a \n
delimited list of files to index.  But since it's easy to do that same
thing other ways I have never bothered.

If you want to use find maybe output to a file:

  find <webdir> -type f -ctime -7 -exec echo 'IndexDir "{}"' ';' > file.lst

and then "IncludeConfigFile file.lst" in your swish-e config.