Re: Filtering problems

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 23:05:27 GMT
On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 03:23:31PM -0700, Klingensmith, Rick wrote:

> I've caused myself some more problems with filtering PDF documents I
> believe. I've installed the latest windows install exe on my test server and
> modified windows fork in filter.pm. This was to get around a memory issue
> that started, which we couldn't solve. Now I'm getting the following error
> message when swish-e tries to index a pdf:
>
> retrieving http://35.8.31.67/affidavit.pdf (1)...
>
> Can't locate object method "convert" via package "SWISH::Filter" at
> C:/Swish-E/swishspider line 149.

I already responded to Rick by email, but for the list (and archive):

SWISH::Filter was updated.  Before to filter a document

   $filtered = $filter->filter(...)

which returned true or false.  But that's not a very Object Oriented
interface so I added a new method:

   $doc = $filter->convert(...)

which returns an object "$doc".

The programs swishspider and spider.pl were updated to use that new
interface.

Rick's problem (so I assume) is that he's using a new version of
swishspider, but an old version of SWISH::Filter.  I assume that
happened because he's got a "use lib" line in swishspider pointing to
an old version of SWISH::Filter.

But swishspider is an exception in that it doesn't automatically point
to where SWISH::Filter is installed.  In other words, swishspider
doesn't use SWISH::Filter by default because (unlike spider.pl)
swishspider runs for each document spidered.  That would mean loading
SWISH::Filter (and all the associated filter modules) over and over.

The better solution is to use spider.pl instead of swishspider.

Much of the work in getting 2.4.0 released is getting Windows to install
(and use) things in their right place.  So perhaps that was the problem.

Why doesn't Microsoft follow Apple's lead and replace their OS with BSD?