Re: incomplete results compared to meta seach?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 19:52:00 GMT
On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 10:21:00AM -0700, todd breslow wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have about 50,000 documents indexed and am behavior where a search
> for a term against the index is returning much less results that a
> search against a meta index. does the following make sense? i would
> expect a general search for a unique word like "saignon" to find all 12
> matches. is this just an issue of my tuning swish-e?

What I think you are missing is that every search is a metaname search.

  swish-e -w foo

is the same as

  swish-e -w swishdefault=foo

Just because you don't specify a metaname doesn't mean it searches all
metanames.  It doesn't.

I have wanted for a while to do something like:

  swish-e -w city,state=foo

where it would search for foo in both metanames, or

  swish-e -w *=foo

search regardless of metaname.

There might be a reason why that won't work, though.  It would be hard
to do:

  swish-e -w city,state='foo "bar baz"'

because you couldn't do a phrase match across metanames.

If you want to do an all search you need to wrap you data like:

<all>
  <city>San Francisco</city>
  <state>California</state>
</all>

But that does increase the size of the index.