Re: enyay character

From: David Moreau <davidjmoreau(at)not-real.hotmail.com>
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 06:08:33 GMT
> > Can swish-e handle the n~ or enyay character? how should it be encoded?
> Can
> > it handle it case insensitively?
>
> See the FAQ on "How do I index non-English words?"
>
> I think the characters you want are ISO 8859-1 characters 209 () and
> 241 () - on Windows you can produce them by typing alt-0241 or alt-209.
> If you want the unicode characters, it is a different problem because
> SWISH-E only really supports 8 bit characters...
>
> I think there's 2 main options for handling accented characters...
>
> 1) add the characters into the WordCharacters so that they appear in your
> (you then have to type them into the search strings)
>
> 2) Use TranslateCharacters :ascii7 to translate them into n and N so that
> your searches are "accent insensitive".
>
> Greg Ford

Thanks for the response.

I was using the wrong codes (alt-165) apparently. When I used the alt-165,
swish-e just stopped parsing the document-- it did not index the document
after the character. I still have problems with the alt-209. Swish-e
finishes the document, but doesn't get the whole word (I updated
wordcharacters).

I'm concerned about the case sensitivity issue, yet I don't want to lose the
record of the original character in the documents. I'm considering mapping
the enyay as n__ or N__ when indexing and searching through swish-e. This
would make searching case insensitive.