"External program failed to return required headers"

From: Thomas Dowling <tdowling(at)not-real.ohiolink.edu>
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 20:03:10 GMT
Greetings--

I am trying to use SWISH-E (I've tried both 2.2.3 and 2.4.0  pr1)  to
spider our website.  Following directions in the documentation, I set up
a basic swish.conf and spider.conf, and my indexing run always bombs
with the message:

err: External program failed to return required headers Path-Name: &
I found what appeared to be an identical problem report in the list
archives from last April (<http://swish-e.org/archive/5149.html>), but
didn't see a definitive solution posted there.  None of the suggestions
offered there affect the problem here.

I took the liberty of inserting a line into spider.pl to print out the
headers, and every document it reports on does have Path-Name and
Content-Length headers, which makes me suspect the problem is either
with swish-e itself or in the interaction between spider.pl and swish-e.

I've tried this against multiple web sites.  The number of files scanned
before the indexing run dies varies from site to site, but is consistent
on each site.  FWIW, I'm running swish-e under RedHat 8.0 with Perl
5.8.0 (and, if I'm reading things correctly, LWP 5.65).

TIA for any help or suggestions.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling@ohiolink.edu