Re: Swish-e web implimentations...

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 20:46:15 GMT
On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 09:18, moseley@hank.org wrote:
> > Is there a better way?  Or a more "preferred" way?
> Sure.  If you can deal with Perl there's the swish.cgi script that comes
> with the distribution.

I'm definitely in agreement with Bill on that.  Simple Web Search is,
well, simple.  For a full blown, standalone search engine I almost
always use the swish.cgi Perl script.  For basic stuff it's almost as
simple as SWS.  But it can be made to do some pretty useful things with
only a little effort.

> > They'd like some more information displayed on each hit, to give the searcher
> > an idea of what pages it found?
> >
> > I'm not sure that's possible with the simplesearch is it?

Not really.

But, if you want I'll release the SWS version with meta properties
support.  It breaks a few things that you probably don't use...  And
it's not terribly well tested.  And it's not nearly as good as the
swish.cgi Perl script.

> I don't know simplesearch, but I'm sure you could probably just print
> out the first few lines of a description property, if that was enough.

That's really about all it does in the released versions.  I rewrote the
output parser very recently to use -x to provide property support.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/