Re: Swish-e web implimentations...

From: <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 14:18:11 GMT
On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 06:53:34AM -0700, Jeffrey Isherwood wrote:
> Hey thanks a lot for the help I've gotten in getting my swish up and running
> guys, still have a couple more questions...
>
> I'm using:
> Redhat 8.0
> Apache
> Siwsh-e 2.2.3
> Simplesearch-1.0.1
>
> Is there a better way?  Or a more "preferred" way?

Sure.  If you can deal with Perl there's the swish.cgi script that comes
with the distribution.  It's bloated because it tries to do too much and
the highlighting can be slow, but a number of people use that.

James Freeman (lurking on this list, I suppose) just sent me his version
of a script which seems to be much faster, but I have not had time to
look at it yet.

> They'd like some more information displayed on each hit, to give the searcher
> an idea of what pages it found?
>
> I'm not sure that's possible with the simplesearch is it?

I don't know simplesearch, but I'm sure you could probably just print
out the first few lines of a description property, if that was enough.