Re: Swish-E search hangs on large indices (on RedHat 9.0)

From: Kay Hofmann <kay.hofmann(at)not-real.memorec.com>
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 08:01:01 GMT
Hi Bill,

thanks for your quick help !!

> Likely some issue with RH 9.0, but you might try
>
>   http://swish-e.org/dev/swish-daily/swish-e-2.4.0-pr1-2003-08-20.tar.gz
>
> I fixed a bug in the sorting code that might be related (or might not).
> You will have to reindex your data.

I tried the new version and it worked ! However, I noticed that it
was probably all my fault: apparently, I had used a version of
swish-e that was compiled under RedHat 7.3. As all of the initial
tests worked fine, I considered this binary as compatible and
forgot about it's origin. Apparently, some library incompatibility
becomes apparent only with big indices (or maybe some specific
file is causing this, I never found out). I should mention that my
RedHat 9.0 was an upgrade from 7.3, so it has some compatibility
libraries installed that should ensure proper working of legacy
binaries. There seems to be a limit to that compatibility, though.

Again, many thanks to all of you who sent helpful replies !

Kay Hofmann