Re: Swish-E search hangs on large indices (on RedHat 9.0)

From: <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 13:41:16 GMT
On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 03:29:31AM -0700, Kay Hofmann wrote:

> I am using SWISH-E 2.4.0-pr1 and the problems started when I upgraded to
> RedHat 9.0. The indexing process works fine and no error or warning is
> reported. However, when I try to use the index, the program hangs and can
> be interrupted only by ctrl-c. This problem occurs not only in search mode
> (using -w) but also with "-k" queries.

Hi Kay,

Likely some issue with RH 9.0, but you might try

  http://swish-e.org/dev/swish-daily/swish-e-2.4.0-pr1-2003-08-20.tar.gz

I fixed a bug in the sorting code that might be related (or might not).
You will have to reindex your data.

Perhaps Dave will respond about your use of RH 9.0.  There's been a
number of posts about RH and problems.  Still, I don't think swish-e
should be hanging regardless of the platform unless you have some broken
libraries.

The other thing is to run swish-e inside gdb and ^C out to find where
it's hanging.

> Is there a known size problem or a known incompatibility with RedHat 9 ?
> I couldn't find any information in the FAQ or in the archive. A further
> possible complication is that the files to be indexed are on a NFS-mounted
> partition, but I guess this doesn't make a difference, or does it?

No, I wouldn't think that would be a problem.