Re: Win XP compatibility settings

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 09:58:24 GMT
On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 03:14, Greg Ford wrote:
> (1) After installing swish-latest.exe (7 Aug?) - swish-e.exe was able to
> index using my existing config files, but crashes (access violation)

What was the last version that worked?  If you can narrow it down to a
specific date or even a range of dates that would help quite a lot.

If you want to test old daily builds but no longer have the installer
then let me know which date you need.  I have all the daily installers
archived.

> searching I checked the properties for swish-e.exe and changed the settings on the
> compatibility tab to make it Windows 95 compatible - after this it worked.

Any idea what Windows 95 compatibility does?  Maybe it breaks
differently with the compatibility.

> It was not previously necessary to do this to get swish-e.exe to run on XP.
> I have a vague recollection of reading something about this somewhere?
> but I could not find a reference to it.

I know almost nothing about Windows XP.  I did build a few SWISH-E
releases using MSVC7 on Windows XP.  I believe I had (worse than normal)
stat() problems with MSVC7's runtime when the programs were run on
Win9x.  I no longer use MSVC7 for various reasons; primarily because
MSVC6 provides better project compatibility.  MSVC7 can't export
makefiles nor MSVC 5/6 projects but it can import.

> (2) As I can't currently access cvs through my firewall, I've had some
> trouble synching my SwishCtl sources with the main ones

You can download the entire CVS repository here:
  http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cvstarballs/swishe-cvsroot.tar.gz

Extract it somewhere (e.g. c:\cvsroot) then set
CVSROOT=c:/cvsroot/swishe however your CVS client does that.  Now you
can checkout swishctl from your local copy.

> I did manage to build the swishlib-mt
> and swishctl, but not swish-e  are the VC++ project files still working?

As of roughly a week ago they were working fine.  But, CVS is constantly
changing.  I typically only update the MSVC projects when needed or for
a release.

>  - any chance of a daily build for SwishCtl (David?)?

Probably not.  But, if someone knows how I could cross-compile MSVC++
code under Linux then maybe.  I was never able to build g++ as a
cross-compiler.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/