Re: Python interface

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 20:06:18 GMT
On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:48:06PM -0700, jb wrote:
> hi there,
>
> i've seen that people ask for python wrappers every now and then -
> there's a python module wrapping the C API (release  2.4.0-pr1) here:
>    http://jibe.freeshell.org/bits/SwishE/
>
> it is not too tested, but it looks like working, also there's a cgi script
> to search mailman archives in the distrib, example here:
>    http://sarai.indymedia.org/~jb/search.cgi).
>
> comments are welcome.

Very cool.  So you are indexing pipermail archives?  Are you doing
any special parsing of the docs -- such as extracting out email, name or
subject?

If you are indexing mailing lists you might consider trying to use the
-u option to update an index instead of reindex.  You would need to
compile swish-e with --enable-incremental configure option.  That would
allow you to add messages to the index as they arrive.  You would need
to use some type of locking to allow only one update to happen at a
time.

I have not tested it more than once with a very few documents, so
consider it experimental.  But it would be nice to get some feedback on
it.  It's really "update" not "incremental" because it only adds files
to the index and doesn't remove files or update existing ones.  At least
I think that's how it works.

Oh, and do you have any comments on the API?  Was it easy to understand
and follow.  Documentation patches are always welcome!

Thanks,