Re: index pdf files with spider.pl

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 02:08:15 GMT
On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 04:38:13PM -0700, Erik Lyons wrote:
> After several weeks of exclaiming joyful praise to the initial "S" in
> SWISH, I stumbled across the example quoted below. It runs and reports
> "PDF transformed:      2,009  (19.7/sec)", but no PDF files can be
> returned in any search results. As an added bonus, all document titles
> that are in the search results appear as "(NULL)". Are these problems
> related, or do I have 2 different gleaming horizons of delight to
> explore?

Hard to say, but probably not hard to debug.

Edit the spider's config file to point to a single PDF file.  Then just
run the spider like:

   spider.pl your_config_file.name > test.html

and look at test.html and make sure it has a title and content.

Then you can index that one PDF with:

   cat test.html | swish-e -c your_config -S prog -i stdin -T properties

the -T properties will show you if the title is being stored.