Re: Assembler errors

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 16:40:28 GMT
On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 08:33:59AM -0700, Andrew Lord wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Looks like some success has been had, although other problems now seem
> evident.  Removal of the 02 flag from the Makefile brings about the following
> printout from make:

Hi Andrew,

> # # # # # # # # gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
> gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.2 2.96-108.7.2)

Please see:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html

You might be wise to upgrade your verison of gcc.  I don't see any of
the warning you are seeing.  I'm able to generate some of the warnings
by adding additional compiler flags, though.

Also, it would be more helpful to see these warnings on a currnet cvs
version of swish.  Makes it easier to track down the problems by line
numbers.

   make >/dev/null

will make the output easier to parse in your emails, too.

> Do you have any further suggestions for how the 'incompatible pointer type'
> errors can be overcome ?

Those are warnings not errors.  They shouldn't keep swish-e from
building.  Yes, they should be fixed -- over the years (and large number
of programmers) have used different compilers and were lax in casting,
and likely there's been an overuse of casting.