Assembler errors

From: Andrew Lord <andrewlord(at)not-real.internode.on.net>
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 13:53:35 GMT
Hi,

I've got a few problems getting swish made on a remote host.   ./configure
proceeds to its natural conclusion but when I move on to 'make', it doesn't
get far at all.  Shown below is the beginning of what happens after typing
'make' in shell:

making swish-e
(cd src; make)
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/httpd/html/swish223/src'
gcc -Wall -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSWISH_VERSION=\"2.2.3\" -Iexpat/xmltok
-Iexpat/xmlparse   -g -O2 -c -o fs.o fs.c
/tmp/cc2GFXvk.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cc2GFXvk.s:671: Warning: Unrecognized .section attribute: want a,w,x
/tmp/cc2GFXvk.s:671: Warning: Unrecognized .section attribute: want a,w,x
/tmp/cc2GFXvk.s:671: Error: Rest of line ignored. First ignored character is
`,'.
/tmp/cc2GFXvk.s:786: Warning: Unrecognized .section attribute: want a,w,x
/tmp/cc2GFXvk.s:786: Warning: Unrecognized .section attribute: want a,w,x
 etc
etc etc

My search of the web indicates that this type of warning occurs when gcc is
incorrectly compiled (without proper links having been established between
assembler and gcc ???).  I guess that swish draws on some capacity of gcc/as
that the packages already compiled on that server do not draw upon, otherwise
the server probably wouldn't wouldn't work at all.

It would seem that this problem could be overcome if my web host would
recompile gcc correctly.  They refuse to do this, however, because of
agreements between them and those who provided their server package. :-(

So I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of problem and might
know of any special 'flags' that can be included at command line when
./configuring then making swish, and which would work around this 'orrible
problem ?

Swish version is 2.2.3

Cheers,

Andrew