Re: Swish DLL please

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 01:01:25 GMT
On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 09:39, Greg Ford wrote:
> > Is there a Win32 DLL for Swish-E? If not, could you please make one?
> > I think it is a very good feature and personally, I don't like
> > shelling to the executable. DLL should be far faster, more reliable
> > and more professional.

Windows' shell isn't very good, for sure.  The DLL isn't any faster,
though.  swish-e.exe statically links to the search library.  The DLL
isn't distributed but can be built from source using MSVC 6 or 7 or
GCC-MinGW compilers.  (Daily Windows builds are generated with GCC 3.2.)

> There is a DLL, (you may need to download the Win32 sources and compile it?)
> There may even be a pre-compiled DLL somewhere...

I tried writing a simple VB program against swish-e.dll and found it
terribly painful.  The DLL would be great for C/C++ but VB was very
problematic.

> Perhaps you can use SwishCtl instead of a DLL?

Definitely the way to go for writing VB code for SWISH-E.

As a note, I intend to include SwishCtl with the SWISH-E 2.4.0 Windows
installer.  As an example it will provide searchable SWISH-E
documentation using the browser-hosted Javascript.

I will bundle up a test package with 2.4.0rc1 soon to see where the
installation process might need improvements.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/