2.2.4-rc1 on Windows under Cygwin

From: Greg Fenton <greg_fenton(at)not-real.yahoo.com>
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 06:20:16 GMT
Before I crawl into code and start hacking, I thought I'd post a
problem I've run into and see if it is currently being addressed.

I have build swish-e from CVS on Windows using Cygwin.  The good news
is that it Just Works:

1. ./configure
2. make

(I'm sure "make install" would work too, but I haven't needed to yet).

The problem I run into is when I try to spider a site.  My swish.conf
contains:

   IndexDir ../prog-bin/spider.pl

When I run swish-e under Cygwin, I get:

   Indexing "./spider.pl"
   .spider.pl: not found

The problem seems, from my brief browse of the code, to be in extprog.c
line 161:

  /* -------------------------------------- */
  #ifdef _WIN32

      make_windows_path( cmd );

  #endif
  /* -------------------------------------- */

I'm pretty sure that what is happening is that "./spider.pl" is getting
converted to ".\spider.pl", which interpreted by the Cygwin environment
(a true BASH shell) becomes ".spider.pl" [\s is simply an "s"].

I'm happy to provide a patch, but before I do I want to find out if:
 (a) I'm on the right path,
 (b) is anyone actively working on this particular code and
 (c) does anyone have a solution other than adding more to the #ifdef

As for (c), by adding __CYGWIN__ to the #ifdef we create an executable
that is usable by Cygwin *or* one that is usable outside of Cygwin.
Another option would be to build one executable for WIN32 and offer a
flag (or runtime detection) for deciding on whether to convert paths.

greg_fenton.

=====
Greg Fenton
greg_fenton@yahoo.com