Re: 2.2.4-rc1 on Windows under Cygwin

From: Greg Fenton <greg_fenton(at)not-real.yahoo.com>
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 02:43:12 GMT
--- David L Norris <dave@webaugur.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 10:03, David L Norris wrote:
> Replying to myself, this is surely a sign of something...
>
> Let me know if you need to build under Cygwin...  Should be no
> problem
> to support, I think.  I try to ward people away from Cygwin emulation
> where possible because it seriously impacts performance and tends to
> be
> very buggy.

Agreed on the performance.  I have not had a "buggy" episode in quite
some time.  However I use Cygwin because (1) I am forced to do windoze
and I WILL NOT CONFORM, and (2) I can use my website's scripts verbatim
and only set a couple of envvars differently.  My website runs on
Linux.

So I have the entire system checked into our version control system,
have a sandbox on my laptop, and can test/modify/develop from my living
room couch (I don't yet have a wireless hub...but even then the VPN
connection to work is brutally slow...).

Having SWISH-E behave nicely in Cygwin would complete my
development/test cycle.

> I should clarify that you would also need native libxml2, pcre, and
> zlib builds.

I'm quite sure that all this compiles under Cygwin.

The big problem from what I can tell (though, I don't claim to be a
Cygwin developer...just a user) is that the swish-e blindly converts
command paths using '\' on _WIN32.  I think simply implementing Bill's
suggestion (PATH_SEPARATOR) would work, but I have not looked into
this.

So, should I consider working on a patch?

greg_fenton.

=====
Greg Fenton
greg_fenton@yahoo.com