Re: SWISH-E License

From: Greg Ford <greg(at)not-real.reddfish.co.nz>
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 01:05:00 GMT
Hi (swish-e developers)

I'm coming in on the tail end of this thread...
which is partly in response to the question mark
I placed after my own comment that I was obliged  to
make swishctl open source because of the GPL.

Firstly, I think that the GPL and LGPL are both
*good* licences.

I am of two minds about the question.

Firstly:

As an independent contractor, I used swish-e to
fulfil a need for my client (a community organisation).
Both GPL and LGPL allow me to charge for this work
which is good - otherwise I would have had to use
an inferior proprietary solution....

As a contracted programmer, my client ends up owning the copyright
on swishctl (unless I explicitly contract to keep it).

But they don't have the skill base to continue development of it.

The fact that swish-e was GPL meant that my source also became GPL - so
*I* can continue to work with it.

If swish-e was LGPL then I would have no legal right to the code I just
wrote.

For this reason - although it seems restrictive the GPL worked
for me in this project.

Secondly:

If swish-e was LGPL - then I could have written swishctl as
a closed source application and sold a licence to my client,
and possibly to others too. This is the traditional path for
software companies - and potentially more sustainable
economically (meaning I can keep working on swishctl).
Of course then I may have to struggle with my conscience
for taking the closed source path...

Anyway, thanks for a nice search engine - GPL or LGPL
I'll support you either way.

Greg Ford