Re: SWISH-E License

From: Roy Tennant <roy.tennant(at)not-real.ucop.edu>
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 17:22:29 GMT
On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 10:07 AM, Bill Moseley wrote:

> On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 08:27:42AM -0700, Roy Tennant wrote:
>
>> Having looked at the GPL license more closely
>> <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php>, I tend to think
>> it is too restrictive.
>
> I have a strong desire for gin when I start reading licenses.  What
> did you find too
> restrictive.

Really? I find I have an urge for single malt scotch, myself...

What I'm finding too restrictive is the religious nature of the
license. That is, it isn't enough that this specific application be
open source, it must force every other application with which it comes
into contact be open source as well. Frankly, I'd prefer that we create
software that enables a lot of great things to happen, of all different
stripes. But then, I've never been very religious so maybe it's just me.

>> Alternatives that have been suggested include
>> the "lite" version of GPL
>> <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-license.php> and the BSD
>> license <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php>.
>
> Did you read: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html
>
> I frankly do not clearly understand the details of the licenses and
> the real difference
> between LGPL and GPL.  Let me poke around a bit.

The difference is that GPL forces any software that uses a GPL
application to be open source as well. The LGPL, as well as other
licenses, does not force such a thing. So what we need to decide is
whether we want to force any application that uses SWISH-E into open
source, and therefore limit the potential use and application of
SWISH-E, or wether we don't want to so limit its use. It's telling to
me that Stallman says that the key characteristic about whether to go
with GPL or LGPL is whether or not there are competing applications
available. That is, if there is another open source application that
does about the same thing as yours, you should probably go with LGPL or
else people will run, not walk, to the competing application due to a
less restrictive license. If, however, your application is unique, you
should use the GPL which will force applications that use it into open
source.

> How much money is left in the Swish-e.com legal budget, Roy?

We have just as much left in that budget as we began with, you crazy
nut...<grin>
Roy