Re: Searching Help Files?

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 23:05:47 GMT
On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 16:30, Marissa Eddings wrote:
>     Even though I've been reading about swish-e for 2 hours now, I can't
> find where it states swish-e can operate off-line/independent of server and
> as described above.  Can someone help give me a better idea if swish-e can
> fit my needs?

Well, SWISH-E itself is just a search engine.  The most popular use is
probably with web servers.  But, that's just one application of the
search engine.  SWISH-E provides a command line program to create and
search index files along with a library interface to the search
routines.  You can use the library interfaces from within your own
programs.

You could, for example, create an index of your documentation and ship
that index file on a CD with your help files.  Using the library, you
could embed the search functionality into the help program itself.

It will not be particularly useful as-is if you want to embed the search
feature into a standalone HTML file to be view with a web browser.  You
could do that but you'd need to provide the end-user with a browser
plugin for each platform and architecture you want to support.  No one
has written a browser plugin to my knowledge.  But, it should be quite
possible.

A few years ago someone wrote a Java swish-e search applet which
probably does something like what you want.  But, I'm sure it wouldn't
work with recent versions of the SWISH-E index files.  You'd probably
need to use an older version of SWISH-E to create the index file.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/