Re: Problem with Boolean NOT

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 21:16:05 GMT
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 12:12:55PM -0700, Jeffrey.Grunstein@ny.frb.org wrote:
> We have Swish-E 2.2.1 running on a Solaris 9 box.
> I'm using a customized swish.cgi as the search interface.
> I'm using PhraseHighlightng a customized TemplateDefault.pm.
>
> When I try a search containing the boolean not, I still get results that
> contain the excluded word.
>
> A search like * strategic plan not bank *
> should return all results that contain * strategic *
> and * plan * but NOT the word * bank *.

moseley@bumby:~$ cat 1.txt
 strategic plan bank

moseley@bumby:~$ cat 2.txt
 strategic plan

moseley@bumby:~$ swish-e -i 1.txt 2.txt -v0

moseley@bumby:~$ swish-e -w  strategic plan not bank -H0
1000 2.txt "2.txt" 16

Swish works left to right, so
1) find all files with strategic  (1.txt 2.txt)
2) find all files with plan (1.txt 2.txt)
3) and those results (1.txt 2.txt)
4) find all files without bank (2.txt)
5) and 3 and 4 together to get 2.txt

> But I get
> results that contain the word * bank *.  For some
> of the results, the word bank is highlighted on the
> results page.

The highlighting doesn't look at "not" words.  I mean, there's no special processing to
avoid highlighting a "not" word, IIRC.

It would probably be wise, but mostly the word isn't in the text due to the "not" so I just
didn't worry about it.