RE: webalizer search (was: error indexing pdf files)

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 16:45:42 GMT
On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, David L Norris wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 10:28, Jody Cleveland wrote:
> > What would I add in so it only displays what people have searched within the
> > site using swish-e?
>
> If you're using swish.cgi and it's doing GET requests then adding this
> to your webalizer config file should work:
>   SearchEngine  yoursite.com  query=
>
> Remove all the other SearchEngine lines if you don't want to see their
> searches mixed in.

I'm don't know webalizer, but I'd think that setting was to look at the
*referer* to see what people entered into search engines to get to your
site, but not what searches are actually done on your own site.

For your own site you want to look at what was requested.  Is there a way
to do that in webalizer?  In Wusage there's the "CGI Parmeters and Values"
report (of questionalble value).

If your logs are not massive perhaps a quick perl script to extract out
the query strings from the web logs?

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org