Re: Compiling on W2K - Mingw

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 05:38:09 GMT
On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 23:12, Dhruva Krishnamurthy wrote:
> I was building on Windows 2000 (not cross compilation) to get the
> executable. I was not able to build with out modifying the 'libtool' and
> 'src/Makefile' as mentioned earlier. With regard to the "REGEX library",
> I have the latest "PCRE library" and there is no need for "REGEX lib".
> With an older version of "PCRE lib", you need "REGEX lib" as some methods
> ex:regexec... are undefined.

Do the newer PCRE libraries have POSIX REGEX in libpcre?  With PCRE 3.9
I need to link both pcre and pcreposix.  PCRE 4.2 man page also says
that I need to link against both libpcre and libpcreposix.  SWISH-E
should not be linking to libregex on Windows.

In your previous email you stated that you had manually edited your
Makefile to link against libregex.a.  You should be linking against
libpcreposix and libpcre but not libregex.  libregex is required only
when building on a Unix system without PCRE.  PCRE is required on
Windows since there's no system REGEX library.  SWISH-E doesn't rely on
any libraries provided by MinGW (i.e. regex) because Visual C++ doesn't
have those.

> I sincerely feel, we need to slightly modify the makefile to support W2K
> native build with out using cross compilation.  Probably, by have a
> conditional definition for swish_e_LDADD.

I don't understand the problem.  I'm able to build _on_Windows_2000_
using GCC 3.2, MinGW, and MSYS with no modifications to SWISH-E at all.
I've built SWISH-E many times with no problems using GCC 3.2, MinGW, and
MSYS on Windows 2000.  I did so before replying to your mail to make
sure it was still working in CVS.

I'm using a recent MinGW on Windows 2000 from the MinGW website:
  http://www.mingw.org/

You're Makefile and libtool changes and manually set environment
variables make me think your shell is broken.  Have you tried building
under MinGW's MSYS Bourne shell using their build tools?  I have no
access to MKS Tools to figure out the problem.  From past experience
with MKS I would suspect the shell is broken.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/