Re: Use of swish-e in BaBar high energy physics exp.

From: Douglas Smith <douglas(at)not-real.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 22:05:44 GMT
On Tuesday 15 April 2003 02:17 pm, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > 2. Is there a way people can influence the ranking of pages?
> > Like through a meta tag there could be a ranking factor included?
> > This was noticed that it would be nice to make initial posting
> > to a discussion forum more important in ranking than replies.
> > Also in search the web it would be nice for people to be able
> > to decide what was the most important page, and include a meta
> > tag to increase that page in ranking.  I think I saw this is
> > discussion in 2.4 features perhaps, but I am not sure if I
> > saw it the 2.2.3 features.
>
> Well it hasn't happened yet.  It's somewhat hard because a metatag might
> come along after words have already been indexed.  The docs are indexed in
> a stream as they are parsed.  But if the meta tag is in the HEAD then it
> might work ok.  Rank is calculated at search time.  I probably could be
> calculated at indexing time and adjusted at search time.  Or there could
> be a special property added to each file that is a bias on a file's
> overall rank.  It's all kind of big design changes -- swish is fast
> because it tries hard not to do too much work... ;)

Well, what I was thinking of is a property which contains numbers.
Call it something like 'rankfactor' or 'swishrankfactor' which can
be put in a meta tag in the html head.  Then at search time, the rank
is computed, and then this factor can be applied, just multipled
to the computed rank.

If someone asks for this as a property in creating the index, then
they can ask for this to be applied to the rank calc. durring the
searching of the index.

If a user (some one who produces a web page) doesn't format the
meta tag correctly (puts in a letter, or such), then the system
can default to '1' as the factor.

Is this a big design change?  (Maybe, perhaps I should just go
through the code myself before aksing for too much...)

Douglas

Douglas A. Smith                  douglas@slac.stanford.edu
Office: Bld 280, Rm 157                       (650)926-2369