Re: Using Swish on a much LARGER scale?

From: <Jeffrey.Grunstein(at)not-real.ny.frb.org>
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 14:05:38 GMT
Just out of cusiosity: what features did Swish-E have that had to be
removed b/c of patents?

I wonder what we're all missing out on.

|         |           David L Norris   |
|         |           <dave@webaugur.co|
|         |           m>               |
|         |           swish-e@sunsite.b|
|         |           erkeley.edu      |
|         |           04/03/2003 09:26 |
|         |           dave             |
  |       To:       Multiple recipients of list <swish-e@sunsite.berkeley.edu>                                                   |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  [SWISH-E] Re: Using Swish on a much LARGER scale?                                                            |

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 20:44, Dave Morton wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
>   My present employer has handed me a rather daunting task, and I'm not
quite sure I'm up to it,
> so I thought I'd ask some advice from folks who would know more than
myself.

>   It seems that my boss has it in his (insert rude adjective here) head
that he wants a full blown,
> Internet wide search engine. Yup! you guessed it! "Something along the
lines of Google" was the
> direct quote.

For a really large scale...maybe look into some nice rack-mount Google
servers?  ;-)
  http://www.google.com/appliance/

Ooh, I see someone else has suggested the same thing.  :-)

> {sigh!} Now, I've been using Swish for a few months, and it indexes our
remote servers
> just fine, but what sorts of problems (legal, programming, etc.) would I
encounter if I were to attempt
> to use it as the basis of a global search?

I'm no lawyer...  But, some really screwball patents from numerous
search engine companies (several owned by nasty holdings companies) may
be an issue; I think Google has patented some things just to prevent
someone else from doing it.  (Welcome to the US Patent System...)
Patents have had minor affects on the design (or removal) of some
features in SWISH-E even though SWISH had some of the "patented"
features before said patents existed.  Not worth the controversy, I
think.

Programming...  Improvements to SWISH-E are generally welcome.  Ranking
desperately needs help for it to be useful in a generic sense, for one.
I'm sure there are many other things that could use some help, though.

SWISH-E's scalability aside, you'd need an astronomical amount of disk
space to store even a subset of the Internet on your local system.
SWISH-E or any other search engine could never handle searching through
that much data without some serious PVM, or other clustering, support.

Which gets back to Google.  They've solved the scalability problems and
put it in a convenient, but not so cheap, yellow box.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/