Re: Some questions

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 05:26:12 GMT
On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 22:24, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > d) My application will have some features that are specific to
> > the data it is indexing, but should be OK as the basis for a
> > Windows gui for client-side searching. I would be honoured if
> > it were (eventually) included in the Swish-e distribution
> > (it appears that the Swish-e library is GPL and not LGPL?
> > So, as a consequence, I guess my app also becomes GPL?)

> Sounds good.  As long as it's generic enough for other's to use.

Yes, that's an important consideration.  ;-)  There has been more than
one Windows GUI written in the past.  All/most made changes to their own
versions of SWISH-E which weren't easily incorporated nor particularly
desirable; all seem to have been abandoned before completion.

The new library API should at least help eliminate the need to hack on
SWISH-E itself.  And hopefully the library API will stimulate some
feedback and patches to work out any problems the SWISH-E library might
have.  (e.g. thread safety)

> > So if I am intending it to become part of Swish-e:
> > Where do I put it in the source tree?
> > (currently under src so I  #include "../swish-e.h")
>
> I don't know how it works on Windows, but the swish-e.h header file should
> go into a standard location (by default it goes in /usr/local/include).
> So I'd think you would say #include <swish-e.h> in your source code.

Add /I "../src" or whatever is appropriate to the MSVC Project Options.
MSVC, nor Windows, has no standard locations (that you dare use).  Whee.

Then use "#include <swish-e.h>" in the code.

I could ramble for hours about MSVC's annoyances...  They have a nice
source editor, compiler, and make utility...  But, the MSVC 5, 6, and 7
build systems tying those tools together disappoint me greatly.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/