Re: Some questions

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 03:23:52 GMT
On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 21:39, greg wrote:
> 1. I haven't been able to build an MFC application - because the MFC
> framework
> requires linking against multi-threaded versions of the C runtime
> library.
> Now I guess I can change the swish-e library to link against the
> multi-threaded versions of the standard libraries...
>
> - does anyone know if that would be safe or not?

Safe for search-only use.  I'm not sure about indexing.

Bill?  Jose?  Any insight?

> 2. I'm trying to use the new library API, but have been somewhat
> confused.
> a) it appears swish-e.h is a replacement for swish.h ? (can't use both?)
> b) the library in the VisualC++ project does not appear to #include
> "swish-e.h" (it uses swish.h) - should it ?

Good question.  I believe that swish-e.h is the beginning of an API
header.  I think the idea is that code using the library could include
only swish-e.h.  Again, Bill would know.  ;-)

> I have the following line:
> MetaNames description keywords year

Have a look at PropertyNames in the docs.  Metanames aren't
automatically properties.  Metanames are used only to restrict search
results.  Propertynames are data stored in the index and returned with
search results.

http://www.swish-e.org/current/docs/SWISH-CONFIG.html#item_PropertyNames

> d) My application will have some features that are specific to
> the data it is indexing, but should be OK as the basis for a
> Windows gui for client-side searching. I would be honoured if
> it were (eventually) included in the Swish-e distribution
> (it appears that the Swish-e library is GPL and not LGPL?
> So, as a consequence, I guess my app also becomes GPL?)

I think that might be appreciated by some folks.  :-)

> So if I am intending it to become part of Swish-e:
> Where do I put it in the source tree?
> (currently under src so I  #include "../swish-e.h")

Perhaps in a directory under the root of the project directory?

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/