Re: Some questions

From: David L Norris <dave(at)>
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 03:23:52 GMT
On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 21:39, greg wrote:
> 1. I haven't been able to build an MFC application - because the MFC
> framework
> requires linking against multi-threaded versions of the C runtime
> library.
> Now I guess I can change the swish-e library to link against the
> multi-threaded versions of the standard libraries...
> - does anyone know if that would be safe or not?

Safe for search-only use.  I'm not sure about indexing.

Bill?  Jose?  Any insight?

> 2. I'm trying to use the new library API, but have been somewhat
> confused.
> a) it appears swish-e.h is a replacement for swish.h ? (can't use both?)
> b) the library in the VisualC++ project does not appear to #include
> "swish-e.h" (it uses swish.h) - should it ?

Good question.  I believe that swish-e.h is the beginning of an API
header.  I think the idea is that code using the library could include
only swish-e.h.  Again, Bill would know.  ;-)

> I have the following line:
> MetaNames description keywords year

Have a look at PropertyNames in the docs.  Metanames aren't
automatically properties.  Metanames are used only to restrict search
results.  Propertynames are data stored in the index and returned with
search results.

> d) My application will have some features that are specific to
> the data it is indexing, but should be OK as the basis for a
> Windows gui for client-side searching. I would be honoured if
> it were (eventually) included in the Swish-e distribution
> (it appears that the Swish-e library is GPL and not LGPL?
> So, as a consequence, I guess my app also becomes GPL?)

I think that might be appreciated by some folks.  :-)

> So if I am intending it to become part of Swish-e:
> Where do I put it in the source tree?
> (currently under src so I  #include "../swish-e.h")

Perhaps in a directory under the root of the project directory?

 David Norris
  ICQ - 412039