Re: Little bug, some annoying installation details

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 15:51:43 GMT
On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 09:32, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > Does POSIX standard mention "_timeb", "_ftime"? I did not find them.
> I've sent mail to the person that added that code asking why that was
> used.  I wonder if it was because of Windows (as it was originally wrapped
> in a #ifdef WIN32.

I suspect that was an oversight on my part when I replaced the #ifdef
WIN32 with a more general version.  Windows prefixes Standard C
functions with _ unless STDC (or something like that) is defined.  It
should be safe to remove the _ prefix completely.

> > 2. if I not specify "./configure --with-zlib=/usr/local [...some
> > stuff...]", the generated Makefile does NOT specify "-lz" and symbols
> > "compress/uncompress" can NOT be resolved; configure does not produce a
> > right Makefile if "zlib" is not explicitly  mentioned

That is a problem with the autoconf's detection of zlib.  Zlib doesn't
provide a zlib-config script to provide complete linker and cpp
dependency information.  I have it automatically detect whether or not
zlib exists but it can fail to find the location.  Any improvements
would be welcome.

> I remember once on Solaris that the zlib header file was found but the
> library was installed in a non-standard location so building failed.

I think maybe that's the same problem.  In that case cpp found the
header but the linker did not find a library.  The test program ends up
compiled but not linked to the correct libraries.  So, incorrect
information is returned to configure.  Sounds like a misconfigured
compiler to me.  That is probably not uncommon on systems without
vendor-provided builds of GCC.  The cpp: and link: sections of the GCC
specs file can be changed to fix those sorts of problems.  That might
explain why it normally builds fine on Linux, *BSD, MacOSX, etc but
randomly fails on Solaris, HPUX, etc.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/