Re: swishex setup

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 15:14:25 GMT
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Thomas McDonald wrote:

> Do you think it would just be better to make my own "Swishex" type solution
> by doing all the CGI stuff myself and then writing some xsl to format.  If
> so, do you know any good tutorials on how to do this (I have never connected
> to a cgi via an iis/vbscript/asp page?  Should I avoid this headache and
> just use the older Swish-e library?

I can't answer as I have no idea about ASP and IIS.  Does Octopod provide
the source for Swishex?  If so then maybe rebuild the dll with a current
version of swish.

If you plan on using xls to generate the output, and don't mind writing
the user interface (reading the CGI params) then the part dealing with
swish should be easy -- either via the command line or by using the
swish-e library.

You can also use the swish.cgi script in the distribution and use a
different templating module for xsl formatting.  But for a custom search
it is proably just as easy to write all your own code, depending on what
features you want.  If all you want is a simple query box then write your
own.

You might post again with a subject asking for help from people that are
using swish on Windows.

I can't remember if anyone has built the swish-e library into a dll for
windows.

Again, if you do use the library, download a current dev version and use
that library.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org