Re: How to design and package portable internet software

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 14:54:02 GMT
On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, John Almberg wrote:

> I've done this with varying degrees of success and am just about to
> start a new project where easy installation will be key. I'm sure
> someone has written down some good strategies for this kind of thing.
> Any pointers in the right direction much appreciated!

Well the "standard" is to use the GNU Autotools.  There's a book:

   http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/

Swish-e uses a configure script (generated by autoconf, part of the
autotools collection).  Swish-e doesn't use libtool (for building
libraries), though.  I've wanted for a long time to switch to libtool.
It's harder to convert an existing package to libtools than to start from
scratch.  I wish I could find a libtool/autotools expert that could tune
up the swish-e build system.

My opinion has been that the autotools seem somewhat more complicated than
I'd like -- but that's probably just because I don't know it well.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org