Problems with SWISH-Stemmer on Windows

From: Mitchell, Steve <SteveM(at)>
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 19:42:06 GMT
I am having trouble gettin SWISH-Stemmer installed on my Windows machine.

I have tried using PPM and get the following error:

ppm> install SWISH
Install 'SWISH' version 0.07 in ActivePerl
Downloaded 8255 bytes.
Extracting 4/4: blib/arch/auto/SWISH/.exists
Installing C:\Perl\site\lib\
Writing C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\SWISH\.packlist
Successfully installed SWISH version 0.07 in ActivePerl
ppm> install SWISH-Stemmer
Error: no suitable installation target found for package SWISH-Stemmer.

I have also tried making the SWISH-Stemmer distribution from scratch, but
then get the following error:

/cygdrive/c/swish/SWISH-Stemmer-0.03>>perl Makefile.PL
MakeMaker (v5.45)
Writing Makefile for SWISH::Stemmer::lib
Writing Makefile for SWISH::Stemmer
total 21
   1 Changes        14 Makefile        1 README          1 Stemmer.xs      1
   1 MANIFEST        1 Makefile.PL     1      0 lib/
Makefile:787: *** missing separator.  Stop.
/cygdrive/c/swish/SWISH-Stemmer-0.03>>make -v
GNU Make version 3.77, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Report bugs to <>.

Obviously, I'm using cygwin on my windows box.  Does anybody have any other