Re: Segmentation fault when running configure

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 05:16:43 GMT
On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, John Almberg wrote:

> H'mmm. I spoke too soon. I'm also getting the fault on config.status. I
> tried commenting out the offending line in that script and running it
> from the command line. That created the make file, and I thought I was
> home free. Unfortunately, now the makefile is dying with this error:
>
> gcc -Wall -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSWISH_VERSION=\"2.2.3\" -Iexpat/xmltok
> -Iexpat/xmlparse   -g -O2 -c -o parse_conffile.o parse_conffile.c
> parse_conffile.c:62: zlib.h: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [parse_conffile.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jalmberg/swish-e-2.2.3/src'
> make: *** [swish-e] Error 2

Yep, I had the same thing.  Looking at that account I have access to I see
that I installed zlib locally so I have a ~/local/include/zlib.h

IIRC, the problem is that he.net has the zlib library but not the header.
Argh.  I complained about that one, too. ;)

>ls /usr/local/lib/libz*
/usr/local/lib/libz.so@        /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1@
/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1.1.3*

>ls /usr/local/include
mysql/

No zlib.h file.

You need a matching header file for the library.  So that's why I
installed my own version.

It would be probably just as easy to install zlib locally, for you, too.

~/build >lwp-download http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib-1.1.4.tar.gz
Saving to 'zlib-1.1.4.tar.gz'...
177 KB received in 2 seconds (88.4 KB/sec)

~/build >tar zxof zlib-1.1.4.tar.gz
~/build >cd zlib-1.1.4
~/build/zlib-1.1.4 >./configure --prefix $HOME/mylib
Checking for gcc...
Building static library libz.a version 1.1.4 with gcc.
..
~/build/zlib-1.1.4 >mkdir $HOME/mylib $HOME/mylib/include $HOME/mylib/lib
~/build/zlib-1.1.4 >make install

Then you tell configure where it is:

  ./configure --with-zlib=$HOME/mylib

At least I think that's how it's suppose to work ;)

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org