Re: how can I index Microsoft powerpoint and excel files?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 23:12:08 GMT
On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 Shen.Yang@ny.frb.org wrote:

> Does anybody knows how to index microsoft powerpoint and excel files?
> I did not have any problem in indexing PDF and Word files because the
> instructions and examples  were very clear and simple to follow.
> However, powerpoint and excel files are a completely different animal.
> There is no information for powerpoint file and instructions in how to use
> XLtoHTML filter is minimal (it assumes that reader knows Perl, what it is
> not my case).

I thought I saw a powerpoint coverter for unix at one point, but my luck
with Google is not so good right now.  There is pp2html but that's on
Windows.

Other option is to save the presentations as HTML (or PDF) and index
those.

Check out http://chicago.sourceforge.net/xlhtml/.  That should be able to
convert excel to html, IIRC.

Can you report back what works (or doesn't)?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org