RE: how to get a description

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 17:10:53 GMT
At 08:40 AM 11/25/02 -0800, Wolf, Dena wrote:
>Hi there Mr Moseley, Grunstein et al
>I appreciate your email.  I can't find the debugging you reference.  I also
>do not know where to find perldoc swish.cgi.

do you know where swish.cgi is?  Let's say it's in /opt/httpd/cgi-bin.

So they you would do:

option A):

  > cd /opt/httpd/cgi-bin
  % perldoc swish.cgi

option B):

  % perldoc /opt/httpd/cgi-bin/swish.cgi

>I am on a shared solaris server.  I do not know if libxml2 is installed.  I
>did not install it, but swish came with our account, and I do not know if
>they installed it. I don't see it.

Oh, so you are on a shared server where someone else installed swish?  Then
you may want to ask specifics about their system from them.

Or, if swish-e in installed in /opt/swish-e/bin/swish-e:

  % ldd /opt/swish-e/bin/swish-e

If you see a line like

  libxml2.so.2 =>  /data/_g/lii/local/lib/libxml2.so.2

then you know that swish-e was linked with libxml2.

Or if "IndexContents HTML .html" works but "IndexContents HTML2 .html" does
NOT work then you can probably assume that it's not linked in.

Of course, if you have shell access, which I assume you do, there's no
reason you cannot build and install swish-e from source.

>All this came about because I am trying
>to customize the swish that our isp gave us.  I moved the swish.cgi into my
>cgi bin and created a config file.  All went well, and the indexing works.
>The problem is I can't get it to show descriptions.  No matter what I do, I
>get the 2 BAD DIRECTIVE lines for the lines in my config file that begin
>IndexContents & StoreDescription.  Without these two lines in the config
>file, the indexing works fine. But I want to show descriptions.

Like I sait the other day, you can use HTML instead of HTML2, or just use
HTML* to have swish automatically select (but only IF you have a 2.2
version of swish-e installed.  The descriptions are NOT limited to only the
HTML2 parser -- that is you can still store and display descriptions
without libxml2 installed.

I would strongly recommend following the step-by-step instructions shown
with perldoc swish.cgi.
mailto:moseley@hank.org