RE: how to get a description

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 20:37:59 GMT
At 12:04 PM 11/19/02 -0800, Wolf, Dena wrote:
>I am doing this on the web, so I need my indexing to store the descriptions?

Yes, if you want to show descriptions that's the easiest way to do it.

>Users will just be searching for words on the website, and I want a document
>summary or excerpt to appear below the links to the documents that contain
>the words they are looking for. Does this make sense.

Yes, that's the point of the StoreDescription directive.

>They will not be
>entering any switches when they search on the web.  I put in the HTML2 lines
>& still get bad directive for those 3 lines.

That may be because you did not build swish-e with libxml2.  I think I
asked before, but what platform are you running on?  When you ran
./configure it would have said if libxml2 was linked in or not (not that
most people would notice that kind of stuff).

If libxml2 was not build with swish-e then you cannot use HTML2, so replace
it with HTML or HTML* (which says use libxml2 if available otherwise use
the internal HTML parser).

My advice again is to use perldoc swish.cgi and step through the
step-by-step instructions or the debugging section.  That will take more
time.  But like anything breaking things down into parts will make life
easier.

1) index a few HTML docs.
2) run queries from the command line

       ./swish-e -w foo -m1 -x '<swishdocpath> <swishdescription>\n'

or even

       ./swish-e -m1 -T index_files

This will show that the description is indeed being stored.

3) then configure the swish.cgi script and *run it from the command line*
perldoc swish.cgi has debugging examples that show how to do that.

4) run from the web.

>I have been going at this for
>4 days now :(

I know how you feel.  I've been going at it for hundreds of days!

mailto:moseley@hank.org